Re: confused about == vs === in this equality

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103760] Re: confused about == vs === in this equality
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 07:38:15 -0400 (EDT)

Nasser Abbasi wrote:

> I guess I am a little confused about the "expression" bit in the definition.
>
> So, when using the 3"=", it is looking at the _value_ of the expression, but
> when using the 2"=", it is looking at the expression _as it is_, i.e.
> without evaluating it?  Is this the difference?  I've always used the 2"="
> for equality, now I have to be more careful which to use.
>
> --Nasser
>

> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4478 (20091003) __________

> http://www.eset.com

No - both comparisons evaluate both sides before comparing. The real
issue is that i==3 will return unevaluated if i does not have a value,
whereas i===3 will return False unless i has the value 3 . === compares
things as they are (after evaluation), it never returns unevaluated.

The comparison operator == is a little picky as to what it compares. I
am not certain, but possibly it does not 'like' comparing one infinity
with another for mathematical reasons.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk