AxesLabel from expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103838] AxesLabel from expression
  • From: Elmar Nubbemeyer <elmar.nubbemeyer at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 07:52:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I am trying to construct an AxesLabel by using a combination of
strings and previously defined variables. I have:

mode = 1 (*this is changed ever so often*)

Switch[mode,
 0, sscript = "cert",
 1, sscript = "auc",
 2, sscript = "muc",
 3, sscript = "adist",
 4, sscript = "mdist"]

plabel=Superscript["p",sscript]
olabel=Superscript["o",sscript]

I do this so I can, in this case, place the label "E(p^auc), E(o^auc)"
on the Y-axis, where "^" of course means that the contents of the
variable sscript is shown as a superscript of p or o.

To do this in the Plot (2D), I tried different ways to define
AxesLabel, and none of them worked:

AxesLabel -> {"x", Print["E(", plabel, "),E(", olabel, ")"]}

gives me what I want, but three times, row by row, like in a loop.

AxesLabel -> {"x", "E(" <> ToString[plabel] <> "),E(" <> ToString
[plabel] <>")"}

removes the superscript formatting, and leads to a label: E(auc p), E
(auc o)

AxesLabel -> {"x", "E("plabel] "),E("olabel ")"}

doesn't work either, it returns: )), E(E(p^auc o^auc

Now I have run out of ideas on how to accomplish this. Any help is
greatly appreciated.