Re: Limiting the number of messages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103830] Re: [mg103810] Limiting the number of messages
  • From: Sean McConnell <smcconne at physi.uni-heidelberg.de>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 07:51:24 -0400 (EDT)

Actually I've found a reasonably good way of dealing with what I'm
talking about. See below...

f[a_, b_] /;
   If[a > 0,
     True,
     Message[f::aerror]
     ] &&
    If[b > 2,
     True,
     Message[f::berror]
     ] := a + b;
f::aerror = "a is too small";
f::berror = "b is too small";

t[a_, b_] :=
  If[Check[f[a, b]^2, "Error"] === "Error",
   "t(" <> StringJoin[Riffle[ToString /@ {a, b}, ","]] <> ")",
   f[a, b]^2
   ];

In[23]:=
t[0, 3]
t[1, 2]
t[0, 2]
t[1, 3]

During evaluation of In[23]:= f::aerror: a is too small

Out[23]= t(0,3)

During evaluation of In[23]:= f::berror: b is too small

Out[24]= t(1,2)

During evaluation of In[23]:= f::aerror: a is too small

During evaluation of In[23]:= f::berror: b is too small

Out[25]= t(0,2)

Out[26]= 16

I realise it's a bit amateur to be re-writing the input as a string for
the output (well, actually the whole thing feels more like a work-around
than a proper solution), but it's achieving what I'm after I guess?!?