Re: Re: Usage Messages Have Become a High Tech Kludge

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103844] Re: [mg103826] Re: Usage Messages Have Become a High Tech Kludge
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 07:15:16 -0400 (EDT)

You're correct. Thanks. Changing "MSG" in the style sheet does work. I was
misreading what was happening. I think the messages are probably small
because of the FontFamily that is used and I didn't use a large enough font
size to compensate. FontSize -> 14 works better for me.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Harutyun Amirjanyan [mailto:amirjanyan at gmail.com]

usage messages and command completion in Mathematica are really poorly designed
and WRI should work really hard to make something like intelisence in visual
studio probably the reason they are not doing this, is a good help system,
which reduces need in usage messages

>1) For many of us the font size in usage messages is too small and, worse,
>non-adjustable. Most cells can be magnified by using Alt - +.  This does not
>work for displayed usage messages. I did try changing the FontSize for "MSG"
>in my style sheet but that didn't work either. Magnifying the entire
>notebook is an option but a local solution would be much better.

I tried this with ParkStyle
adding cell
Cell[StyleData["InfoCell"],FontSize->18]
changes fontsize of button grid displayed by ?? "*Goal" adding cell
Cell[StyleData["MSG"], FontSize->18]
changes fontsize. but it affects all messages (usage, error) which isn't good
I think it would be better if "MSG" style wasn't used at all and only
"PrintUsage" and "Message" were used.

by the way does anybody understand how Cell
[contents,"style1","style2"] works? I couldn't find anything in help.