Re: Google Trends Data and Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103880] Re: Google Trends Data and Mathematica
  • From: telefunkenvf14 <rgorka at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 07:09:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Oct 7, 6:08 am, jroge <jr... at mac.com> wrote:
> I am looking for some advice for directly importing data from Google
> Trends? I am able to download the CSV files from Google and then load
> into Mathematica easily enough, but I would rather skip the
> intermediate steps and directly pull the data from Google into my
> Mathematica notebook. I think where I am getting stuck is that Google
> requires authentication and programming that into Mathematica is a bit
> beyond my skill sets. Any thoughts?
>
> Jon

I was trying to do something similar just the other day... However,
the examples in Mathematica's documentation, concerning using web
services to access Google, are broken. I believe Chris Osborn's
suggestion of using Import[] should work.

I'll play around this weekend trying to write some functions
corresponding to the google search url options (more info here:
http://www.our-picks.com/archives/2007/01/30/google-search-urls-revealed-or-how-to-create-your-own-search-url/).
Maybe then we/you can help adapt the code for the Trends searches.

I generally find that getting data into Mathematica can be a bit
cumbersome--probably because I've been spoiled/ruined by pointy-clicky
my whole life. Also, if you have Excel 2007 you should be able to do
the same type of thing. (Querying and automatically having Excel pull
the data. Actually read something about customizing Google queries for
Excel the other day. Bookmarked it somewhere...)