Re: Piecewise vs. /; ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104016] Re: Piecewise vs. /; ?
  • From: Dan Dubin <ddubin at ucsd.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:19:33 -0400 (EDT)

Folks --

I would respectfully disagree with the idea that /; is more general
than Piecewise. The example given, a function that returns a
different value in the morning than the evening, is simply a
time-dependent function that could be constructed using Piecewise, as
in

f[x_,h_] =  Piecewise[{{x, h < 12}, {-x, h >= 12}}];

and called via

f[x,DateList[[4]]]

  In fact, it seems to me that any difference in the way that
Mathematica interprets Piecewise and conditionals should be removed
from later editions of Mathematica, since as far as I can see the
difference between them is merely a Mathematica-specific  matter of
the mechanics of how the expressions are evaluated with little (or
no?) utility, that causes considerable confusion among new users. I
don't see any benefit in this distinction, but feel free to convince
me otherwise!