Generic Mapping Tools and Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104018] Generic Mapping Tools and Mathematica
  • From: Tyler <hayes.tyler at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 07:17:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hello All:

Just a quick question. Has anyone ever used Mathematica and Generic
Mapping Tools (GMT) together? I know there is the WorldPlot package,
but I would like to incorporate fault lines, and data on a regional
level, states, counties, etc. For example, plotting California and the
San Andreas fault network is straightforward in GMT. Moreover, the
datasets already exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Mapping_Tools

I've not seen any similar functionality in Mathematica's WorldPlot.

All the examples are colouring of countries in various projections.
Frankly, not very useful for anyone other than a high school student.
In effect, it behaves like a glorified geography course, but not ready
for more accurate geodetic/geophysical research. A seemless way to
incorporate GMT (and GMT datasets such as fault maps) would make a far
more usefull application.

Any pointers would be a huge help.

Cheers,

t.