Re: GraphicsGrid crashes front end?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104086] Re: GraphicsGrid crashes front end?
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at t-online.de>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 07:08:21 -0400 (EDT)

oshaughn wrote:

> I am seeing an odd circumstance where GraphicsGrid of a plot with
> moderately complex frame labels crashes the front end repeatably:
>
> pRef =    Plot[ Log[10, 0.3] - x, {x,-1,2},   FrameLabel->{"log L (mJy
> kpc^2)", Log[Subscript[Superscript[N,"*"],psr]/Subscript[N,psr]]},
> Frame->True];
>
> GraphicsGrid[{{pRef}, {pRef}}];
>
> I know I can get something like    Log[Subscript[SuperStar[N], psr]/
> Subscript[N, psr]] to render almost as nicely.  I'm wondering why this
> particular instance crashes and what sort of structures in frame
> labels I should avoid.
>
> -Richard

You used N in the second part of FrameLabel as a Variable, which is not
a good idea in any case. I believe Mathematica tries to Evaluate
 Log[Subscript[Superscript[N,"*"],psr]/Subscript[N,psr]]
and runs into trouble.

If you make a string  "Log[S..].." it will display fine.

Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany -- http://www.pBreitfeld.de