Re: Text cell formating blues. LineBreakWithin, PageWidth, WordWrapping

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104087] Re: Text cell formating blues. LineBreakWithin, PageWidth, WordWrapping
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at t-online.de>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 07:26:21 -0400 (EDT)

"Nasser M. Abbasi" wrote:

> Hello
>
> V7 on windows XP.
>
> I normally use Mathematica just to do the computation/solving/verification
> part and then use Latex for actually writing my final homework and school
> report (I use Scientific workplace SW).
>
> Today I decided to give Mathematica another try to see if I can write the
> whole thing in one document, i.e. code and report. This way everything is in
> one place and no need to copy and paste stuff between Mathematica and SW.
>
> For the last hour and more I have been fighting with Mathematica to make
> Text cells look nice after exporting to PDF. i.e. i'd like lines to be of
> reasonably equal length.
>
> Mathematica break lines in places where I do not want it to, so I end up
> with text paragraphs that looks like the following on the screen and also in
> PDF (notice the extra spaces even to the left of some lines)
>
> xxxxxx
>   xx,
>  xxxxx
>    xxxxxxxxx,
> xxxx
>
> So, this is what I tried, but I am about to give up, but I thought let me
> post this and may be there is simple solution that I am missing.
>
> First I turned OFF the LineBreakWithin (i.e. set it to false from automatic
> in the option inspector, did this for Global, Notebook and Selection). btw,
> why does an "X" still show up sometime the the left of an option name after
> I change its value?
>
> So, now my lines are very long and they are cut off when printing. I.e. they
> are like this
>
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> So, I select the text cell again, and did Format->WordWrapping->Wrap at
> paper width, but now it looks like
>
> xxxxxxx| text here not showing
> xxxxxxx| ......
> xxxxxxx| .....
> xxxxxxx| .....
>
> and the rest of each line (if it longer than page width) is not visible on
> the screen and neither in PDF.
>
> Next I went to option inspector and set "PageWidth" to paperWidth (it was
> infinity) I could only change this option in Global and not in notebook or
> Selection (the field was grayed out there). ?
>
> But this did not help either. For lines that are too long, I can see the
> rest of the line on the screen and have to scroll horizontally to see it.
>
> I tried many other things.
>
> Does any one know what is the best combination of options/formatting to use
> so that text cells would looks the best for printing?  and which font to use
> for best results?
>
> btw, I try to not hit carriage return when I write text in a text cell.
> Turning off LineBreakWithin seems to be the key option to play with, but I
> think I made things worst.
>
> I tried also to change the cell style  to ItemParagraph from text, but this
> did not seem to help much.

> [...]

I looked at your notebook.

It seems, that you didn't use Text-Cells in the regions where leading
blanks occur at the beginning of a line. You can see this, if you look
at the cell-brackets. There is a small triangle at the upper corner,
which means that the cell includes two-dimensional output. Such a cell
will line-wrap as output-cells do.

I suggest to use Text-Cells only for your explanatory text (you may
include inline-formulas with <Ctrl>9) and put big formulas in separate
"DisplayFormula" Cells, where you may change them to TraditionalForm.

Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany -- http://www.pBreitfeld.de