Re: About binary relations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104110] Re: About binary relations
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 07:14:01 -0400 (EDT)

Except for some build-in domains, there is of course no direct way that
Mathematica can define an infinite set. But you could do it indirectly
as in the following. (Your "definitions" of the relations R1 and R2 make
utterly no sense whatsoever, since they are defined in terms of pairs
{r,s}, yet the defining relations use variously variables x, y, xP, yP,
tP, z, and zP.)

   R1[r_,s_]:= s + Log[2,r] == (* ??? *)

I cannot finish the definition of R1, since I don't understand your
example. If you meant that P is yet another relation -- which you failed
to define -- then presumably something like yP stands for the set of all
x related to y by P; if so then your definition still does not make
sense, since the left hand side of the equality is a single number
whereas the right-hand side is a set of numbers.

Perhaps if you described correctly and clearly what you were after, we
could help.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305