Re: About using hyperlinks in notebook, couple of questions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104236] Re: About using hyperlinks in notebook, couple of questions
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at t-online.de>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 01:03:24 -0400 (EDT)

"Nasser M. Abbasi" wrote:

> Hello;
>
> Ver 7, windows XP
>
> question 1:
> ----------------
> I create a text cell, write some text, select a word, then do
> Insert->Hyperlink. Wizard comes up, and I browse for the file I want to to
> link it to. All ok.
>
> The word slightly changes color and becomes a Hyperlink.
>
> I could not find an option to make the hyperlinked word become more
> apparent, when in the notebook, that it is a hyperlink, I wanted to make the
> word maybe use a different font, or become darker or even underlined just as
> it would look in the html page itself.  So that when reading the text later,
> I can more easily see which words are hyperlink and which are not. Now it is
> a little hard to see the differerce. I am using default style sheet. This
> might be different in different style sheets , I have not yet tried.
>
> I know I could change the style if I had used the HyperLink[] command
> directly, but I prefer to use the wizard to add the hyperlink so I do not
> have to type the url by hand and make mistake.
>
> question 2:
> -----------------
> On editing existing hyperlink created as above. It says in the help the
> following:
>
> "To edit the name of a hyperlink, click beside the hyperlink and use the
> arrow keys to move the insertion point into the hyperlink's text."
>
> But when I do the above, all what happens is that a new small window comes
> up with some actual HTML code in it. I was expecting that the original
> insert->Hyperlink "wizard" to popup again so I could may be change the URL
> by browsing for a different file for example.
>
> Is this really how is it supposed to work? This does not seem right.
>
> Thanks
> --Nasser

To your first question: I would suggest to write your own Style-File as
a sibling of Default.nb. The easiest way would be to open an editor and
create the new style file e.g. nasserStyle.nb. The minimal should be:

Notebook[{
  Cell[StyleData[StyleDefinitions->"Default.nb"]],
  (*this makes your style a sibling of Default.nb *)

  Cell[CellGroupData[{

    Cell[StyleData["Hyperlink"],
      FontColor->RGB[1.0.0],
      FontWeight->Bold
    ],

    Cell[StyleData["Hyperlink","Printout"],
      <Settings>
    ]

  },Closed]]
}]

Save this file to $UserBaseDirectory/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/StyleSheets

To your second question: Mark the Cell including your hyperlink and use
Cell/ShowExpression. Now you can edit your links to your liking.

Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany -- http://www.pBreitfeld.de