How to make table of contents, back-of-the-book index in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104273] How to make table of contents, back-of-the-book index in Mathematica?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 01:10:20 -0400 (EDT)

hi;

Version 7.

If I am to consider using Mathematica for writing things other than just
code, I would need to be able to have table of contents (TBL) and an index
in the notebook at least.

So far, I could not find a way to do this. Once I create the Title, Section,
etc.., I need to create TBL at the start and an index at the end, and be
able to export the notebook to HTML and PDF and have links created
automatically from the table of content to each separate section and
subsection listed in the TBL.

There used to be an AuthroTool package, but it seems to have disappeared ?
and can't find where to download it

http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/Add-onsLinks/AuthorTools/WhatIsAuthorTools.html

What replaces it?

And I do not want to look at publicon, as I am not sure if it is even still
active (do not hear about it, and no version number or a date on the web
site)

http://www.wolfram.com/products/publicon/  and I also want to just use one
program to do everything, not 2. If I am to copy stuff from my Mathematica
notebook to publicon to create a report, then I might as well copy things to
Latex as I currently do.

So, some people recommend using Mathematica for doing all the coding and the
report as well, ie. not just for the code, and I would like to be able to do
this (simplify life) but without these basic things, I do not see how this
can be productive.

I hope I am just overlooking something here?

Thank you,
--Nasser