Re: Rotating an Image

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104359] Re: [mg104348] Rotating an Image
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 02:56:00 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> I need to rotate an image, i.e. a 2D Matrix, about an arbitrary angle.
> I would like to maintain the image size.
> I would like to have full control over the interpolation process.

then you should code it anyway by yourself in e.g. C and call it from
Mathematica, but to do it purely in Mathematica is even for moderately
sized images no option since it is far too slow.

For the Mathematica-day in Germany I wrote a set of functions for an
rigid image registration which contains a rotation. This whole stuff is
written using CUDA but that's effectively C.
It should at least show you what to do.

Please find it under
http://www.bioinf.uni-leipzig.de/~patrick/publications.html

If you really don't come forward then just send me a mail and we'll see
what we can do.

> In the long term I am actually interested in rotating a 3D volume/matrix
> around an arbitrary axis by an arbitrary angle.  Such functions exist for
> graphics objects but not for image/volume/matrix data.  Or am I wrong?

Afaik nothing ready to use exists in Mathematica,
but such functions are not harder to code than a normal rotation.

Cheers
Patrick