Re: Opportunities and Player Pro

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104396] Re: Opportunities and Player Pro
  • From: telefunkenvf14 <rgorka at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 02:19:01 -0500 (EST)

On Oct 29, 2:59 am, "E. Martin-Serrano"
<eMartinSerr... at telefonica.net> wrote:
> I wish to join the opinion already expressed here on that WRI should provide
> the means to make available to people, in general, any products developed
> with Mathematica,  allowing to manipulate all or most of the dynamic
> graphics and other stuff in them. The lack of this free tool which would
> make possible wide distribution of these materials severely restricts the
> opportunities to use Mathematica for many purposes.
>
> It is true that Mathematica Player Pro is already available, and that it is
> the professional platform for running interactive Mathematica applications
> and documents and for interacting with reports and documents. It is also
> true that, Player Pro is an application delivery system and that it can
> be used to deliver tools, and so on. But, in the end, all this is
> restricted to a closed and, to certain extent, comparatively tiny community
> of already Player Pro users.
>
> But think about, say,  a book on some scientific and technical matter, meant
> to be distributed in many countries, written in Spanish, English, Russian,
> French, German, Arabic, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, and others. Let us
> suppose that it is an outstanding book targeted to a wide spectrum of
> persons and institutions: including academics, professionals, and students;
> plus people in general too.  And, let suppose that the authors are
> considering including in the book, as an addendum, the sort of dynamic
> graphics and some other computational material that Mathematica could
> provide.
>
> Taking apart the fact that some potential purchasers of the book would
> actually be current Mathematica users; does anyone really think that it
> makes any sense including Mathematica as an important tool for the project
> and tied it to a preexistent and closed community of already Player Pro
> users?
>
> I would really like to be in a situation of defending the Mathematica way
> since I believe it would be nearly the best one, both for readers (including
> students) and lecturers; but I cannot. It seems that for projects like this
> there is a long way to go yet.
>
> E. Martin-Serrano

> will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.
>
> Este mensaje y los ficheros adjuntos pueden contener informacion
> confidencial
> destinada solamente a la(s) persona(s) mencionadas anteriormente
> pueden estar protegidos por secreto profesional.
> Si usted recibe este correo electronico por error, gracias por informar
> inmediatamente al remitente y destruir el mensaje.
> Al no estar asegurada la integridad de este mensaje sobre la red, E.
> Mart=EDn-Serrano no se hace responsable por su contenido. Su contenido no
> constituye ningun
> compromiso para el remitente, salvo ratificacion escrita por ambas partes.
> Aunque se esfuerza al maximo por mantener su red libre de virus, el emisor
> [...]

I just wish WRI would provide me with the PlayerPro licenses promised
when I signed up for Premier service...

(Their response: Oh, well that's not included with *Student* premier
service. My reply: You don't make any such distiction prior to
purchasing premier service.)

Student buyers beware, I guess.

-RG