Re: Simplifying If expressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102969] Re: Simplifying If expressions
  • From: pfalloon <pfalloon at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 05:41:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Sep 2, 6:06 pm, "David Park" <djmp... at comcast.net> wrote:
> If[x == 0, x, 0];
> FullSimplify[%]
> 0
>
> Piecewise[{{x, x == 0}}, 0];
> FullSimplify[%]
> 0
>
> David Park
> djmp... at comcast.nethttp://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/
>
> From: beep.beep [mailto:meph... at gmail.com]
>
> Hi,
>
> When I try to Simplify[If[x==0,x,0]] Mathematica returns If[x==0,=
x,0] rather
> than 0. It seems that it does not take into account that left and right
> if-branches should be simplified using ($Assumptions)&&if-condition and
> ($Assumptions)&&!if-condition respectively. Is there a way to force that
> behaviour?
>
> Best regards,
> Ilya

I don't know about anyone else, but I was surprised and troubled to
see the following result (as pointed out by others in this thread):

In[3]:= If[x==0,x,0] // FullSimplify
Out[3]= 0

To me this seems simply incorrect. For example, what about the
following cases:

In[5]:= With[{x=0.}, If[x==0,x,0]]
Out[5]= 0.

In[11]:= With[{x=1`20-1}, If[x==0,x,0]]