Significant Digits in Mathematica in Excel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103002] Significant Digits in Mathematica in Excel
  • From: Alex <alexbayers1986 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 19:54:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I'm currently using Mathematica in Excel and am trying to multiply a
number by an undefined variable to a certain precision, but
mathematica will only allow six digit precision for multiplying by an
undefined variable.  For example, if I enter

=EVAL(".2527777777778 z"), the cell returns .252778*z

When I then evaluate the above with the rule z-> 1 I get .252778.
Does anyone know how to get mathematica to return the higher precision
value to excel?  I've tried using N[".2527777777778 z", 15], as well
as the same with large integers rather than decimals, only to find my
results rounded to six digit precision.  Further, does anyone know how
to globally change this quantity?

Thanks,
Alex