How reliable are mathematica's special functions? (Hypergeometric and

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103060] How reliable are mathematica's special functions? (Hypergeometric and
  • From: janey <janemkiwi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 07:37:44 -0400 (EDT)

I don't know if WRI will divulge anything about their algorithms for
numerical approximation of Hypergeometric functions. Can I trust it?
Mathematica 6.0 can handle AppelF1[1.6+.6] say, but Mathematica 7.0
won't even give an actual number (this is a problem all up the
diagonal after a certain point.

The problem occurs with parameters roughly as follows:

AppellF1[1/2, .3, .3, 1/4, -100 z^4, z^4];

One: Before I try and figure out more of the nature of the function at
different points, can anyone tell me if there are known problems with
mathematica's special functions being reliable?

Two: Given that I want to plot this function in a portion of the
plane, can I have Mathematica overlook these sets of non-computable
(by mathematica) points, and still get a plot?

Thanks,

Janey.