Re: Mathematica 7 on netbooks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103105] Re: [mg103083] Mathematica 7 on netbooks
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 05:57:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 02:36:32 -0400 (EDT), Brus wrote:
> I'll buy a neetbook - Acer aspire One D250 (N270 1.6 Ghz, Xp home, 1 Gb
> ram).
>
> I need Mathematica 7 for student purposes in mathematics.
>
> Can a netbook run Mathematica 7 well?
>
> I need it for integral computing, graphic plots, solving system of
> equations.
>
> Is someone running Mathematica 7 with a netbook?
>
> Thanks

I have an Asus Eeepc 901, and Mathematica 7 runs just fine.  It's not zippy,
mind you.  It is, after all, a fairly underpowered computer, and my expectations
of it are rather modest, so I rarely push it with my Mathematica usage.  Not to
mention that I'm often running it on battery and I believe it's default mode
throttles down the CPU's max speed (I'm not certain of that, though...it just
hasn't mattered to me that much to confirm it).

For doing "integral computing, graphic plots, solving systems of questions",
it'll probably be just fine, as long as the integrals, plots, and systems of
equations aren't super-sized.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com