MathGroup Archive 2009

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

SendMail and Novell Groupwise

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103093] SendMail and Novell Groupwise
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 05:55:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Folks,

I teach at a small community college in PA where our email is managed through Novell Groupwise.  I'm interested in using Mathematica to programmatically send student-customized emails using Mathematica 7's new SendMail functionality.  As you might imagine I have not been succesful to date.

When I start my Novel Groupwise software at work, I read an information window that states: "Connecting to Post Office Agent at: 172.19.177.4:1677".

I am assuming (which might be my problem) that this is the proper server address and port number I need to provide to SendMail when I attempt to email students.

My first attempt at code looks like this:

SendMail["From"->"tdallen at hacc.edu","To"-> "genesplicer28 at yahoo.com", "Subject"-> "Sending Email from Mathematica", "Body" -> "Testing", "Server"->"172.19.177.4","PortNumber"->1677,"UserName"->"myUsername","Password"->"myPassword"]

Upon executing this, Mathematica spins away for about 10 seconds, and then returns the error: "SendMail::conopen: A connection cannot be established to the server "172.19.177.4".

Would you have any thoughts how I can troubleshoot what I am doing wrong??  Have any of you used SendMail to communicate through Novell Gropuwise?? Admittedly, I may have several issues going on here.  I appreciate any advice you might have!

Best regards,
Todd

• Prev by Date: Re: confused about asserting variable is element of Reals
  • Next by Date: extent of unwrapped text in a button
  • Previous by thread: Re: confused about asserting variable is element of
  • Next by thread: Re: SendMail and Novell Groupwise