Re: SendMail and Novell Groupwise

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103153] Re: SendMail and Novell Groupwise
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 04:45:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Todd,

Port 1677 is the default port for the Post Office Agent. However, I
believe Mathematica uses SMTP for sending mail, which uses the default
port of 25. Novell Groupwise does support SMTP but it might have to be
switched on, as it has several methods of sending mail, inclusing
IMAP.

Cheers -- Sjoerd

On Sep 8, 11:54 am, Todd Allen <genesplice... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
>    I teach at a small community college in PA where our email is mana=
ged through Novell Groupwise.  I'm interested in using Mathematica to pro=
grammatically send student-customized emails using Mathematica 7's new Send=
Mail functionality.  As you might imagine I have not been succesful to da=
te.

>    When I start my Novel Groupwise software at work, I read an inform=
ation window that states: "Connecting to Post Office Agent at: 172.19.177.4=
:1677".

>    I am assuming (which might be my problem) that this is the proper =
server address and port number I need to provide to SendMail when I attempt=
 to email students.

>    My first attempt at code looks like this:
>
> SendMail["From"->"tdal... at hacc.edu","To"-> "genesplice... at yahoo.com", "Su=
bject"-> "Sending Email from Mathematica", "Body" -> "Testing", "Server"->"=
172.19.177.4","PortNumber"->1677,"UserName"->"myUsername","Password"->"myPa=
ssword"]

>    Upon executing this, Mathematica spins away for about 10 seconds, =
and then returns the error: "SendMail::conopen: A connection cannot be esta=
blished to the server "172.19.177.4".

>    Would you have any thoughts how I can troubleshoot what I am doing=
 wrong??  Have any of you used SendMail to communicate through Novell Gro=
puwise?? Admittedly, I may have several issues going on here.  I apprecia=
te any advice you might have!