Re: inconsistent synatx for FillingStyle and PlotStyle?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103165] Re: [mg103115] inconsistent synatx for FillingStyle and PlotStyle?
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 04:47:19 -0400 (EDT)

If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.

pts = {{1, 1}, {2, 3}};

colors = {Red, Blue};

Show[ListPlot[{#[[2]]},
    PlotStyle -> #[[1]],
    Filling -> Axis,
    FillingStyle -> Lighter[#[[1]]]] & /@
  Transpose[{colors, pts}],
 PlotRange -> All]

ListPlot[List /@ pts,
 PlotStyle -> colors,
 AxesOrigin -> {0, 0},
 Epilog -> (
   {#[[1]], Line[{#[[2]], {#[[2, 1]], 0}}]} & /@

    Transpose[{colors, pts}])]

Or from primitives

Graphics[{{#[[1]], Point[#[[2]]],
     Line[{#[[2]], {#[[2, 1]], 0}}]} & /@
   Transpose[{colors, pts}]},
 Axes -> True,
 AxesOrigin -> {0, 0},
 AspectRatio -> 1/GoldenRatio]

Bob Hanlon

---- Nasser Abbasi <nma at 12000.org> wrote:

=============
Problem: Make a ListPlot, and have each Point be a different color.
Solution: Use Directive

ListPlot[{{{1, 1}}, {{2, 3}}},
    PlotStyle -> {Directive[Red], Directive[Blue]},
   AxesOrigin -> {0, 0}]

Problem : Make a ListPlot, but with vertical lines, and have each line be a
different color.

You would expect the synatx to be the same as above, just use Filling->Axis
and use FillingStyle-> insteadl of PlotStyle->, right? But it does not work

Solution attempt:

ListPlot[{{{1, 1}}, {{2, 3}}},
  Filling -> Axis,
  FillingStyle -> {Directive[Red], Directive[Blue]},
  AxesOrigin -> {0, 0}]

Now I looked at help, and it says:

"Directives can be combined using Directive[g1,g2,....]"

So, I tried this

ListPlot[{{{1, 1}}, {{2, 3}}},
Filling -> Axis,
  FillingStyle -> Directive[Red, Blue],
  AxesOrigin -> {0, 0}]

And this did not work either. I also tried

ListPlot[{{{1, 1}}, {{2, 3}}},
  FillingStyle -> {Red, Blue},
  AxesOrigin -> {0, 0},
  Filling -> Axis]

I also tried

ListPlot[{{{1, 1}}, {{2, 3}}},
  FillingStyle -> Directive[{Red, Blue}],
  AxesOrigin -> {0, 0},
  Filling -> Axis]

Am I getting any closer? I tried above 10 other ways, and can't get it to do
this. so I give up :)

Any idea how to make each vertical line be colored differently according to
my own list of colors?

thanks,
--Nasser