Import "HeldExpression" element of MX file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103219] Import "HeldExpression" element of MX file
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 07:25:34 -0400 (EDT)

I was trying to get the content of an MX file (there was a question
about this about a week ago).  If I read the documentation correctly,
this should be possible by importing the "HeldExpression" element.  But
it doesn't seem to work.

What am I doing wrong?

This is what I did:

a = {1,2,3}
DumpSave["a.mx", a]

Quit

Import["a.mx", "HeldExpression"]

(* Import returned nothing *)

?Global`*

I expected that input would return something like Hold[a = {1,2,3}].
Instead it simply re-imported the variable a into the workspace, just
like Import["a.mx", "Expression"] does.