Re: Credit card balance transfer fee problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103271] Re: [mg103184] Credit card balance transfer fee problem
  • From: Kelly Jones <kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:59:01 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks, Mitch. Your table looks accurate w/ one note: the 300 fee is
baked into the loan amount. In other words, my balance starts at
10300, and works its way down.

For reference, here's how I generated the balance table (using
differential equations to make things easier):

DSolve[{b'[t] == b[t]*Log[1+.02]-.36*b[t], b[0] == 10300}, b[t], t]
Table[b[t],{t,0,1,1/12}] // TableForm

In other words, I start out owing 10300, and that amount is constantly
being increased by 2% interest, and being decreased by my 3% monthly
payment.

Of course, in both our cases, there's a lump-sum payment of the
remaining balance after 12 months.