Overlaying List...Plots with other Plots?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103406] Overlaying List...Plots with other Plots?
  • From: Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 06:23:54 -0400 (EDT)

What's the smoothest way to draw a ListPlot (or its friends,
ListLogPlot, ListLogLogPlot, etc.) with another plot of just a normal
function (which is actually a curve fit to the data) on top of the ListPlot?

I know that I can just do two plots (which are just Graphics objects
anyway) and then show them simultaneously with show, but since it's a
ListPlot, but since I'm dealing with an arbitrary set of data I don't
know what the bounds of the plot will be, so I don't see how to easily
choose the proper limits for the second Plot to Show together.

I presume there must be a standard way of doing this since it's a pretty
common operation; what's the "proper" way to do it?

Thanks.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Skype erikmaxfrancis
   I'll tell them that their daddy was / A good man
    -- India Arie