Re: Overlaying List...Plots with other Plots?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103432] Re: [mg103406] Overlaying List...Plots with other Plots?
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 05:52:46 -0400 (EDT)

data = {{0, 1}, {1, 0}, {3, 2},
   {5, 4}, {6, 4}, {7, 5}};

nlm = NonlinearModelFit[data,
   Log[a + b x^2], {a, b}, x];

Module[{xi = data[[All, 1]]},
 Show[
  ListPlot[Tooltip[data],
   PlotStyle ->
    {Red, PointSize[Medium]}],
  Plot[Tooltip[nlm[x]],
   {x, Min[xi], Max[xi]}],
  Frame -> True,
  Axes -> False]]

Bob Hanlon

---- Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

=============
What's the smoothest way to draw a ListPlot (or its friends,
ListLogPlot, ListLogLogPlot, etc.) with another plot of just a normal
function (which is actually a curve fit to the data) on top of the ListPlot?

I know that I can just do two plots (which are just Graphics objects
anyway) and then show them simultaneously with show, but since it's a
ListPlot, but since I'm dealing with an arbitrary set of data I don't
know what the bounds of the plot will be, so I don't see how to easily
choose the proper limits for the second Plot to Show together.

I presume there must be a standard way of doing this since it's a pretty
common operation; what's the "proper" way to do it?

Thanks.