Re: Modifying Default Stylesheet?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103417] Re: Modifying Default Stylesheet?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 05:49:59 -0400 (EDT)

In article <h94vkf$ngt$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net> wrote:

> 1) Open a notebook with the Default style sheet.
>
> 2) Use Menu -> Format -> Edit Style Sheet... and edit it.
>
> 3) Save the new style sheet under a NEW name using SaveAs (and if you modify
> it in the future you still have to use SaveAs and not just Save.) Save it in
> your private ($UserBaseDirectory)
> Mathematica/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/StyleSheets folder.
>
> 4) It should now appear in your Menu -> Format ->  StyleSheet menu listing.

David, thanks -- but still lots of questions:

1)  There's an "Install" button in the Stylesheet editing window, and
also a File >> Install >> Stylesheet command in the front end File menu
(on my Mac V7 anyway). b

Both of these look like they do the same thing, namely, auto-install the
(maybe edited) style associated with some selected notebook as a new,
named stylesheet (SS).

You don't mention either of these.  What are they all about?

2)  Suppose I follow your steps 1) and 2) above (which I generally know
how to do).

Can I then save the edited result as a temporary notebook (somewhere,
under some name), and then install it as a _replacement_ for my existing
Default SS?  -- meaning that once I've done this, NO new name will
appear in the Menu -> Format ->  StyleSheet menu listing; and all my
previous AND new working notebooks will now open with this new, modified
Default style?

(This is what I'd really like to do.)

3)  Suppose I follow your directions 1) thru 4) above literally and save
my first modified SS with the name, say, MyDefault1, so that this new
name now appears in the Menu -> Format ->  StyleSheet menu listing; and
I also make this my default SS per your steps 5) thru 8) below

Then, after I use this as my default SS for a while, I decide I want to
make some further mods to MyDefault1.  So, do I now I have to start with
MyDeFault1; follow steps 1) thru 8); and thereby create a new default SS
named MyDeFault2 SS?  (which I'll have to apply retroactively to all my
earlier notebooks, the first time I re-open them.)_

You see where this is going . . .

Thanks again.