Re: Memory problems when solving equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103480] Re: Memory problems when solving equations
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 07:49:43 -0400 (EDT)

On 9/23/09 at 7:24 AM, maki at physics.usyd.edu.au (Maki Takahashi)
wrote:

>Hi I'm trying to solve a system of polynomial equations using
>various inbuilt functions namely Solve[] and Reduce[]. When ever I
>try this the kernel crashes as it runs out of memory.

>I was then advised to manually try to solve it by calling
>GroebnerBasis[] but this also resulted crashed the kernel....

>is there a way to control any memory leaks with mathematica?

You've not supplied any detail. Any sufficiently large
polynomial system will cause any machine to run out of memory
regardless of whether memory leaks exist in Mathematica or not.
Without knowing how much memory you have, details of your system
and details of the polynomial system you are attempting to
solve, it is impossible to determine the best approach for
avoiding the problems you are encountering. And without these
details, it is not clear whether the problems you are
encountering constitute a bug such as a memory leak or is simply
a limitation of the system you are using.