Re: two quad processor machine

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103512] Re: two quad processor machine
  • From: Andreas <aagas at ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 06:11:58 -0400 (EDT)

Ruth,

Depends what you want to do with the machine.  Last time I spoke with
Wolfram, a grid license had gotten pretty reasonable, more expense
than a single desktop license, probably cheaper than two single user
licenses.  I think a grid license licenses 4 processors, your 2 quad
cores have a total of 8.  But, grid licenses address situations where
1 person controls or uses multiple processor licenses.

As you can run multiple notebooks on even a single processor machine,
I infer from your post that you want to have 8 different people
accessing the same server concurrently.  In that case it starts to add
up pretty quickly.  The machine you described (Apple Xserve by any
chance?) will likely require 2 network licenses (2 users included) one
for each quad core.

Anyone on your network can have access to the license and run
Mathematica, but no more than the number of concurrent licenses at a
time.  So it sounds like, you will need to purchase a network version
for 8 users if you need them to run concurrently -- these add ons
typically come in at a discount to the base license.

Best,