Re: two quad processor machine

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103516] Re: two quad processor machine
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 06:12:41 -0400 (EDT)

On 9/25/09 at 5:58 AM, ruth.lazkoz at ehu.es (Ruth Lazcoz Saez) wrote:

>We are planning to get at the lab a two quad processor
>machine.  Will a single machine license allow us run eight
>different notebooks
>at the same time?

The answer to the question you have asked is yes. There is no
specific limit to the number of notebooks you can run. But I
strongly suspect what you really want to know is the number of
kernels you can run. That is the number of notebooks you can run
without having computations in one affect computations in
another. This number is a limit set by your license.

To determine how many kernels your license allows select the
About Mathematica menu item. This is one of the items in the
Mathematica menu on a Mac and is found under the Help menu with
the Windows operating system. When selected, you will see a
window come up with information about Mathematica. Also there
will be a button labeled System Information. Clicking on that
button will cause another window to appear with detailed system
information. In that window, click on the Kernels button at the
top to find how many processes are allowed by your license. That
will be the answer to your question.