Re: Monitoring status of dynamic calculation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103513] Re: [mg103506] Monitoring status of dynamic calculation
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 06:12:09 -0400 (EDT)

Without knowing more about the context of your problem, it's difficult to give
the very best answer which can work for you.  I'll throw a few things out there
without any guarantee that they'll stick for your particular problem.

* I'm not sure why changing all of your Dynamics is such a bad idea.  I think
you should be willing to consider it.  You can abstract it by defining something
like...
myDynamic[x_]:=Dynamic[x, (#2=#1; Status="Out-of-date")&]
SetAttributes[myDynamic, HoldAll];

or, you could have a standard wrapper for anything inside of Dynamic...
Dynamic[FlagStatus[x]];
FlagStatus[x_]:=Status="Out-of-date";x

* Perhaps you wouldn't need to worry about keeping status information if you
cached computational results using memoization.  Look up memoization (note the
lack of the r is intentional) in the online help.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group