Re: Incorrect symbolic improper integral

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103634] Re: [mg103586] Incorrect symbolic improper integral
  • From: Jason Merrill <jwmerrill at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 05:04:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:
> The answer returned by Integrate agrees with the one given by NIntegrate,
> which uses very different methods:
>
> Integrate[
>  Cos[x]/(1 + x^2), {x, -\[Infinity], \[Infinity]}] // N
>
> 1.15573
>
>  NIntegrate[
>  Cos[x]/(1 + x^2), {x, -\[Infinity], \[Infinity]}] // N
>
> 1.15573

Yes, you are right. I tried this immediately after posting, and feel a
little silly now. I had convinced myself with an argument about
contour integration that doesn't work because Cos blows up in both the
upper and lower half plane. It is actually the more general answer
that appears to be wrong.

I should have been more careful before saying which was wrong, but it
was plain that the two answers disagree.

> Simple numerical checks show that your proposed answer is far too large and
> can't be right. And what is even more curious is that my Mathemaica 7.01
> returns:
>
> Integrate[Cos[a*x]/(1 + x^2), {x, -Infinity, Infinity},
>   Assumptions -> Element[a, Reals]]
>
> Pi/E^Abs[a]
>
> Exactly the same answer is returned by all versions of Mathematica from 5.2.
> and 6.03 (the only ones I have tested). So which version gave your answer?

That's good to see. I'm using 7.0.0, so it looks like the bug in the
more general answer has been fixed.

JM