scaling a plot via imagesize

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108803] scaling a plot via imagesize
  • From: Benjamin Hell <hell at exoneon.de>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:00:06 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
for output purposes I'd like to control the size of the plotimage. This
is no problem using ImageSize. In addition I want the whole plot
including axeslabels, ticks and so on to upscale proportional to the
imagesize. For example if I set ImageSize to 500 and the plot looks
fine, I want that when setting it to 1000 all the fonts should be twice
as high, the lines drawn should be twice as thick and so forth. But for
exampe using the TicksStyle directive with a fixed number for the
FontSize does not do this upscaling.
The solution I have right now is that I obtain the current ImageSize via
AbsoluteOptions and then do the upscaling manually for each critical
Option. Let's again take TicksStyle as an example. Let's say a setting
of TicksStyle->11 looks fine for ImageSize->500. Let furthermore be
imagesize the current imagesize. Then I would set
TicksStyle->(11*imagesize/500). This solution works, but if the
ImageSize is set to Automatic it fails, because AbsoluteOptions returns
Automatic for ImageSize and not the actual value.
This is not a huge problem, because my current solution works, but I'd
be glad to hear a more elegant way, if there is one. Perhaps this one
involves less effort.

Thanks in advance.