Re: How to do numerical computations?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108819] Re: How to do numerical computations?
  • From: <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:38:21 -0500 (EST)

Yes, surely there is such a method, to give you only the numerical values,
just avoid symbolic integration and iterations in your procedures. A good
start is to specify that your own functions should only take numeric
arguments. As example:

f[x_?NumericQ] := x^2

will only evaluate for numeric values of the argument. You have to check
each step of your code, and understand what Mathematica really does to it.
In most practical cases, it is possible to do all necessary symbolic
calculations first, check that carefully, and then use the results to
streamline the procedures for the numeric values, if you have many different
sets of numerical data to evaluate in the same way.

But if you want some more detailed help from the MathGroup, it would help
tremendously to know more in detail what your code is doing inside. The
details are VERY IMPORTANT for the time required, and often there are many
ways to obtain the same result, most slow and a few ways very fast.

Ingolf Dahl
Sweden