Re: convert txt to binary file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108846] Re: convert txt to binary file
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 06:09:16 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> I have a 4Gb txt file and it is not possible to work with that
> because it is huge. Does someone knows how to convert an ascii file
> to a binary file using mathematica? I have a collegue that does it
> with another system but I can't find out how to do that. I searched a
> lot without sucess.

Whether this is possible and how much effort it is depends a lot on what
the data in that file is. If it is mostly numbers you might have a
chance to read it at chunks and save the data in a binary format. Will
you really need to import all the data or just a part of it?
If your colleague has succesfully converted it to a binary file, why not
try if you can import from that format? Mathematica can import .mat
files for example. How large is the binary file he has created?

> Your help would be extremelly appreciated.

I think you will need to supply much more details to get any useful help
on this...

albert