Fix for "INTERNAL SELF-TEST ERROR: MacFont|c|818"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108907] Fix for "INTERNAL SELF-TEST ERROR: MacFont|c|818"
  • From: Paul Makepeace <paulm at paulm.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 07:27:17 -0400 (EDT)

Ever since I upgraded to OS X's Snow Leopard, I have been receiving
these messages on Mathematica startup,

> INTERNAL SELF-TEST ERROR: MacFont|c|558
> Click here to find out if this problem is known, and to help improve
> Mathematica by reporting it to Wolfram Research.
>
> INTERNAL SELF-TEST ERROR: MacFont|c|818
> Click here to find out if this problem is known, and to help improve
> Mathematica by reporting it to Wolfram Research.
>
> INTERNAL SELF-TEST ERROR: MacFont|c|818
> Click here to find out if this problem is known, and to help improve
> Mathematica by reporting it to Wolfram Research.

It turns out the fix (that worked for me) is quite straightforward,

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 08:30,  <support at wolfram.com> wrote:
[snip boilerplate Shift+Option+restart suggestion]
> If you're still running into trouble after clearing the cache, it's
> possible that the Mathematica fonts were corrupted. To resolve this, we can
> reinstall the fonts by doing the following:
>
> Open a Finder Window to your /Applications directory, and Control+Click
> 'Mathematica.app' then select "Show Package Contents."  In the new window
> that opens, navigate to 'SystemFiles > Fonts > TrueType' and double-click
> 'MathematicaFonts.dfont'  This will open a series of font installation
> windows, which you'll want to click "install" on.  Once you've installed
> all of these fonts, please check the main FontBook window for any warning
> messages (these should be noted by yellow ! marks next to fonts), which
> might indicate that some system fonts are corrupt.

As well as solving the problem, it's given me an appreciation for how
many fonts Mathematica uses, ha.

Hope this helps,
Paul