Re: Any answer for this ParallelDo error

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108896] Re: Any answer for this ParallelDo error
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 07:25:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

you know what a shared variable is? You know that there's a lot to do
for the ParallelDo to manage exclusive write-accesses to your "a" for
every single subkernel?
What you want is to "build the parts of the solution list and to merge
them to the final solution at the end".

{t1, mat1} =
  AbsoluteTiming[
   ParallelTable[
    If[PrimeQ[(i^3 + j^5)] == True, 1, 0], {i, 1, 20}, {j, 1, 50}]];

Your code is not what you really want at different places:

- why you are initializing an array with 0 and storing your elements in
it? You just have to build your matrix.
- what do you think is in your variable "mat"?
- using ParallelTable to initialize/allocate an array is really making
the stuff slow. There's nothing to do for the subkernels and the
overhead of parallelization is far too big.

Btw, to really take advantages of parallelization your calculations
inside the loop should really be more complex. This makes the the
subkernels really have to compute something and they are not kept busy
moving memory-contents back and forth.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers
Patrick