Re: Mathematica Programming

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108951] Re: Mathematica Programming
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 08:00:37 -0400 (EDT)

webMathematica is something VERY easy to run on a server -- provided that:

   (1) you have sufficient access and permissions for that server,
including putting scripts in certain locations there;

   (2) that server has:

      (a) the free Java run-time environment;
      (b) the free Apache Tomcat (or another "Java Servlet container";
      (c) Mathematica (actually, only a Mathematica kernel);

   (3) a licensed webMathematica (of course!);

   (4) you install on the server the webMathematica files in the
       appropriate locations (e.g., with Tomcat, in its webapps
       subdirectory); and

   (5) you edit one of the files from (4) so as to reflect the situation
       of the relevant files on that server, including the location of
       Mathematica.

The webMathematica files themselves consist of various .m packages, .jar
Java executables, an Apache loadable module (Linux) or .dll (Windows)
along with .html files for examples and documentation, etc.

The communication between the web page served up to your browser (or, if
on a public server, to the user's browser) by Tomcat, on the one hand,
and the Mathematic kernel, which does the actual dirty work, is by means
of JLink.

I can do this even on my own local Windows XP PC -- for my own
development purposes (since my machine is not open to the world as a
server).

As its shipped, webMathematica comes with a copy of Mathematica; for use
on your own machine for local, experimental purposes only, your existing
Mathematica installation suffices.

For use on a public server, the issue would be what kind of license you
buy.  And part of the price is determined by how many instances of the
kernel you're allowed to run concurrently to handle the user load. (The
webMathematica interface makes a call to start a kernel, do the
calculation, and then releases the kernel. So this is fairly efficient.)

Obviously, WRI will be happy to quote a price for different levels of
webMathematica.

Some site licenses, e.g., at educational institutions, include an
"amateur edition" that puts various restrictions on use.

I hope this helps to shed a little light, even if I cannot quote any
dollar figures.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305