Re: if using Mathematica to solve an algebraic problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109035] Re: if using Mathematica to solve an algebraic problem
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 04:31:25 -0400 (EDT)

One thing you "missed" is that the integral is not "elementary" in the
technical sense of the term, or what many folks would call
"closed-form".  And that's one of the things we often discuss in a
calculus class -- that this or that function, although itself
elementary, does not have an elementary antiderivative (even though the
Fundamental Theorem of Calculus guarantees that it does have an
antiderivative, since it's continuous).

With paper-and-pencil, one apply this or that method in an attempt to
get a closed-form antiderivative, only to fail. But having Erf pop-up in
Mathematica as the answer always gives students a surprise: "What is
Erf?"  And it can serve to motivate the whole discussion of elementary
functions and a (usually, necessarily, only brief) discussion of the
existence of the Risch algorithm for deciding whether a function has an

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305