Why is InputField changing format of input formula?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109247] Why is InputField changing format of input formula?
  • From: "Dominic" <miliotodc at rtconline.com>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 02:49:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I am writing an application which the user enters an equation and would
like to set up an input field for the equation.  This is what I
currently use:

InputField[Dynamic[myFunction], FieldSize -> {20, 4}]

However, when I leave the field, the equation is automatically altered
by the system.  For example, if I enter a polynomial such as z^5+2z^2-2,
the system changes it to -2+2z^2+z^5 or if I enter a cube root from the
palettes, the system changes it to a 1/3 power.

How may I set up the InputField so that it stays in the input the user
enters?  I cannot seem to get it to "Hold" the format as the user
entered it.

Thanks guys,

Dominic