Re: if using Mathematica to solve an algebraic problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109131] Re: if using Mathematica to solve an algebraic problem
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 04:08:42 -0400 (EDT)

David Park wrote:
> So why don't they consider learning how to use Mathematica in high school,
> instead of calculus? Then when they got to college they could concentrate
> more on the math.

For many students, if  they take and pass calculus AP exam with a 3 or
higher then then don't have to "concentrate" on ANY math in college.
They are done with it forever, and can die without ever seeing another
cosine.

I think the educational establishment is not ready to endorse the idea
that one should learn reading, 'riting, and uh, mathematica.

RJF