Re: Experimental`NumericalFunction::dimsl

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109386] Re: Experimental`NumericalFunction::dimsl
  • From: Joe Hays <hays.joe at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 04:02:55 -0400 (EDT)

Fair enough. I had considered including my code but chose not to so I didn't
dump a blob of code for you all to wade through. I was hoping that someone
had at least seen the mystery error and had a general suggestion.

Here is what I've learned in the past day. The mystery error appears to be
starting point related. In all scenarios that I had experienced the error I
was letting FindMinimum select the starting point based on my constraints.
For whatever reason, the starting point that FindMinimum was selecting for
my problem planted the seed for this unknown error that rears its head late
in the execution.

When I specified my own starting point(s) I stopped experiencing the error.
I have no explanation. My problem is mildly nonconvex but continuous so I
expected FindMinimum to settle on a local minimum (not to die on an error).
Anyway, as of right now I appear to be up and running.

So, if anyone gets this problem in the future my suggestion is to
investigate specifying your own starting point(s). If that doesn't help then
I'm not sure what to suggest.

Thanks for the response DrMajorBob. I'd be happy to share my code if you're
curious but as I said I left it out so the group didn't have to wade through
it.

Joe