Re: Kernel crash, version 7.0, windows XP, when using

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109407] Re: Kernel crash, version 7.0, windows XP, when using
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:26:07 -0400 (EDT)

I have version 7.0.1 on a Mac

$Version

7.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (February 19, 2009)

I do not get this behavior. Do you get the same problem by changing the control label (small number in the gray area just to the right of the control)?

Bob Hanlon

---- "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org> wrote:

=============
Hi;

I was wondering if someone has a real Mathematica debugger that they could
use to help me find where this bug is? I do standard mathematica.

I spend the last 6 hrs on this, and can't find the problem. I do not have a
debugger, so it is impossible to find where the bug is since it is a kernel
crash and I do not see what I am doing wrong.  One thing I know is that if I
all the Epilog code in the code, the problem goes away.

This is the problem:

I have a manipulate, with a plot being drawn using Dynamics in the control
area. The plots uses control variables.

When I enter a value of a control variable using the slider (i.e. normal
method) there is no problem. no crash, even though the slider goes over the
same input value which will cause a crash when I enter this input as
follows:

I open the slider by clicking open on the small "+" next to the slider, and
type in a numerical value, the kernel crashes.

For example, There is a control variable called zeta in the program. When I
move the slider  no crash happens. When I open the slider window and type in
a value then the crash happens. The strange thing, if I type in   "1"
instead of "1.0" then it will crash, but if I type "1." no crash is seen
(i.e. add a decimal point !)

I have a screen shot here to help you see the problem:

http://12000.org/tmp/bug_input_slider/screen_shot.png

And the notebook is in the same folder, here:

http://12000.org/tmp/bug_input_slider/

it is called filter_v9.nb

All what you have to do just download the notebook, open it in Mathematica,
open the slider input area just like shown in the above image, and type in 1
Next, simply hit any other control with the mouse to activate, now the
kernel will crash.

As I said, if I type 1. instead of 1 (i.e. with a decimal point), the
problem does not happen.

Any one has version 7.0.1? does the problem happens with it also?

Thank you,
--Nasser