Re: Database memory usage

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109435] Re: Database memory usage
  • From: Vince Virgilio <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 04:05:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 26, 7:31 am, Rui <rui.rojo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to databases.
> I want to put a big list in a database, to later work on it.
> It all worked fine, using the default hsqldb that comes in
> Mathematica, but I couldn't insert more than few thousand elements at
> a time, and then Link problems or java heap problems.
> Finally, I couldn't even open the connection. Java runs out of memory.
> Memory usage of javaw process is less than 300MB when it runs out.

Rui,

For what it's worth: "Me too", but a long time ago, with a different
kind of database.

I noticed similar failures when I was trying to export very large
Microsoft Excel workbooks (XLS), with multiple worksheets. There
appear to be some hardwired assumptions or limits in Mathematica's
general export mechanism; and obviously the limit interacts with Java,
if not totally determined by it.

Vince Virgilio