Re: BinCounts to InterpolatingFunction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109484] Re: BinCounts to InterpolatingFunction
  • From: "Kurt TeKolste" <tekolste at fastmail.net>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 02:53:38 -0400 (EDT)

If I understand this algorithm: it would seem that it will feed all of
the counts for all of the bins into Interpolation.  If this is correct,
read on.

One of the problems in dealing with multidimensional data is that it
takes quite large samples to fill in the huge multidimensional volume.
In other words, it is hard to get bins fine enough in all dimensions and
without having almost all of your bin counts be zero.

I suspect that the interpolation will not be very satisfying unless your
sample size is huge or you only need relatively course bins.  Note the
dividing each of four dimensions into 20 bins is already 160,000 bins
with an average probability that a randomly chosen sample will be in any
particular bin of 1/160000 = 4x10^-6.  It takes a long time for the
montecarlo to look like a real distribution ...

I am not an expert in this area, but I would be tempted to use only the
bins with non-zero values.  I recall reading about some techniques for
dealing with this -- something about trying to sample where the density
is highest -- but do not recall the reference.  Also, if you start with
an a priori distribution rather than trying to construct the
distribution based solely on data you have more tools available.

ekt