Re: ReplaceAll and ReplaceRepeated Strange Behavior

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111516] Re: ReplaceAll and ReplaceRepeated Strange Behavior
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at t-online.de>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 06:57:09 -0400 (EDT)

If you look at the FullForm of eff1 you get

FullForm[eff1]

Times[Power[dm,-1],L,Power[Pi,-1],Power[Plus[Times[L,Cos[b]],
Times[L,mu,Cot[a]]],-1],Plus[Times[-1,L,mu],Times[L,Cos[b],Cot[a]]]]

As you can see, the FullForm contains nowhere dm*Pi, (FullForm is
Times[dm,Pi]), so this pattern will never match and can't be replaced.

Generally, it's better to replace Symbols instead of expressions, because
the FullForm of an expression mostly looks quite different from what you
expect and Patterns were always matched against the FullForm.

So this will work:

eff/.dm->L/(Pi*Tan[a])

Out=((-L mu + L Cos[b] Cot[a]) Tan[a])/(L Cos[b] + L mu Cot[a])

//Peter

Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany -- http://www.pBreitfeld.de