How to require integer subscripts to match a simple pattern

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111527] How to require integer subscripts to match a simple pattern
  • From: Tom D <tomdickens at att.net>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 05:49:40 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to create an indexed function that would be of the form

M_(j,,j+1) [a,b] := func(j,a,b) ,

where M has the two subscripts j and j+1, i. e. I need the 2nd
subscript to match only when it is 1 more than the first.

I know how to do this if I made the argument 'j' a normal argument,
that is, not a subscript. (Use the /; operator.)

How can I do this for the subscripts?

(These are propagator matrices that either go one level up, or one
down, so I'll have two M's, a (j, j+1) and a (j,,j-1) version.)

Thanks,

Tom