Re: classroom combinatorics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111568] Re: classroom combinatorics
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 07:01:40 -0400 (EDT)

McGill, Paul wrote:
> My wife, who is a business professor, asked me an interesting question
> today. She has 28 students in her class and wants them to meet in groups
> four, once each class session, such that every student gets at least one
> chance to work with every other student in a minimum number of class
> sessions. For instance, if the class had only nine students and met in
> groups of three, you could accomplish this in four class sessions:
>

> c1 = {{1, 2, 3}, {4, 5, 6}, {7, 8, 9}}
> c2 = {{1, 4, 7}, {2, 5, 8}, {3, 6, 9}}
> c3 = {{1, 5, 9}, {2, 6, 7}, {3, 4, 8}}
> c4 = {{1, 6, 8}, {2, 4, 9}, {3, 5, 7}}
>
> How can I use Mathematica to figure this out? I've looked through the
> tutorial for the Combinitorica package and see nothing quite like this
> case. Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

I do not know of a convenient way to go about this. There may well be
something, it's just not an area with which I am familiar.

In principle it can be set up as a constraint satisfaction problem in
integer linear programming. We assume there is some fixed number of
sessions. To minimize that you would simply bring down the number of
sessions until you no longer can satisfy the constraints.

There will be one variable for each session and pair of students. All
variables will be 0 or 1. If 1, that pair is meeting in that session,
else not. This imposes already two classes of constraint: that all
variables are between 0 and 1 inclusive, and that they are all integer
valued.

The other constraints will be:

Sum over a round of student j  with all students k is equal to group size.

Sum over all sessions of student j with student k is >= 1.

Compatibility: if student j meets with k in session i, and k meets with
l in same, then must have i meeting with l in same session. We impose
this as an inequality: r[i,j,k] >= r[i,j,l]+r[i,k,l] - 1, where i is the
session number and the trio of students is {j,k,l}. We permute so that
we actually have three such constraints for this trio.

Here is code that can set this up. I use the smaller size problem.

rounds = 4;
n = 9;
size = 3;

vars = Array[r, {rounds,n,n}];
vars = vars /. r[i_,j_,j_]:>Sequence[];
vars = vars /. r[i_,j_,k_]/;j<k :> r[i,k,j];
fvars =  Union[Flatten[vars]];

c1 = Map[Total[#]==size-1&, vars, {2}];
c2 = Map[Total[#]>=1&, Transpose[vars,{3,1,2}], {2}];
c3 = Map[0<=#<=1&, fvars];
c4 = {Element[fvars,Integers]};
c5 = Table[r[i,j,k]-(r[i,j,l]+r[i,k,l])>=-1,
   {i,rounds}, {j,2,n}, {k,1,j-1}, {l,n}] /.
     r[i_,j_,j_]:>Sequence[] /.
	r[i_,j_,k_]/;j<k :> r[i,k,j] /. True:>Sequence[];

constraints = Union[Flatten[Join[c1,c2,c3,c4,c5]]];

Timing[inst = FindInstance[constraints,fvars]]

The problem with this simple setup is that it is in no hurry to
complete. You might gain a bit of advantage by fixing the first session,
e.g. enforcing that the students split into groups of consecutive
threesomes, as in your solution (any such split is fine for the first
session). I do not know how much this will help.

You could also replace FindInstance, which uses exact linear programming
under the hood, with e.g. an interior point method. This would involve
writing your own branching loop instead of just calling FindInstance.
For some approaches to this, have a look at notebooks at URL below.

http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Conferences/7515/

Another idea is to enforce the compatibility constraints incrementally,
starting with none and only adding (some of) those that the prior
solution has violated. This might work faster in that FindInstance can
handle the problem when the compatibility constraints are not present;
problem is, the solution it gives will violate some of them.

These tactics might make the problem closer to tractable, though I doubt
it will handle anything of significant size.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research