Re: Save a notebook state

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111574] Re: Save a notebook state
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 06:55:34 -0400 (EDT)

On 04/08/10 12:55, slawek wrote:
> I have got a medium size .nb notebook, but the "evaluate notebook" command
> take about half a hour.
>
> The "save" command save only input cells (and comments etc.) - but the
> context (the values of variables) are not saved. Therefore after "open" I
> must "evaluate" to restore the state of computations from a previous
> session.
>
> An example:
>
> after loading saved notebook with
>
> In[1] := x = Simplify(1+1+1)
> Out[2] = 3
>
> I have two lines in the Mathematica front-end, but: a. no kernel is loaded;
> b. the value of x is not 3, because x is not defined.
>
> Is it a way to save the notebook with all results, variables etc. to avoid
> re-calculation of formulas? I.e. a save .nb with a dump the state of kernel?
>
> slawek

DumpSave is very useful in that it is very fast, and creates a binary
file (with suffix .mx) that can be read back with Get. The read back is
also very efficient.

However, you will need to specify what exactly needs saving (see the
help for this function), but if your notebook is reasonably well
organised, this may not be hard.

David Bailey

http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk