Re: Suggestions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111600] Re: Suggestions
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 01:30:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 06:56:53 -0400 (EDT), S. B. Gray wrote:
> This was posted in 2003:
>
> "Selwyn Hollis" <selwynh at earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:bgcupq$9qi$1 at smc.vnet.net...
>>> Print preview should certainly be near the top of any wish list. (But
>>> if you're fortunate enough to have a Mac w/OS X, printing to PDF is
>>> almost as good.)
>>>
>>> To any such wish list I'd also add, in no particular order:
>>>
>>> * antialiasing of graphics!!
>>> * flexible top/bottom cell margins
>>> * serious undo functionality
>>> * real unicode support (on the Mac anyway)
>>> * better find/replace (e.g., replace all in selection)
>>> * robust import of eps and pdf graphics
>>> * less need for tweaking to make expressions look right; namely:
>>> ** better typesetting of fractions (size should not be connected
>>> to sub/superscript multiplier)
>>> ** more consistent and reliable placement of sub/superscripts
>>> ** more consistent and reliable spacing
>>> ** more consistent and reliable sizing of summation and integral signs
>>>
> To which I would add:
>
> 1. Make word wrap work in a rational way. At present, it sucks.
> 2. Allow noncontiguous selection of text like MS Word (finally) does
> 3. Get a text menu displayed, again like MS Word
> 4. Allow making actual margins around graphics variable
> 5. Make the cell properties more visible (the stripes on the right edge)
> 6. MAKE THE FOUND OBJECT HIGHLIGHT MORE VISIBLE (when you do search)
> 7. MAKE THE ERROR MESSAGES USEFUL(Mathematica knows where the error is;
> why
> doesn't it tell you?)
>
> 8. Give some indication that Wolfram listens to its customers.
> 9. I expect a certain number of these suggestions and Hollis' to be
> acted on, namely zero.
>
> Steve Gray

Most of your list makes sense to me, but I'm curious about your point #1.  What
about the word-wrapping frustrates you and what kind of system would you find
more rational?  I could posit a guess at a couple of things, but I'd really like
to hear what you're thinking rather than guess.

Incidentally, I should point out that a some items on the 2003 list from Selwyn
have been resolved in the intervening time.  Certainly antialiasing and PDF
import are in good shape, now.  I don't understand the "real Unicode support" or
"flexible top/bottom margins" items.  Perhaps there was some contemporary issue
that's not survived in my memory to the present day, but I'm not aware of causes
to complain on these fronts.  Concerning the typesetting issues...he pretty
clearly explained the fraction issue, but the others would also require some
explanation for me to assess and consider.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group