Re: assuming certain properties about variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111622] Re: assuming certain properties about variables
  • From: "Christoph Lhotka" <christoph.lhotka at univie.ac.at>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 06:22:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply. The reason is, that I found your message in the
MathGroup archive, but never recieved it by mail. In addition it puzzles
me, why you were not able to find my post, since it is present in the
archive [mg111465]...

Regarding your comment, I repeat, how I would use the symbol $Assumptions
to define the function f to work for t without setting the upvalue to it:

f[t_] := If[MemberQ[{$Assumptions}, t > 0], t, -t]

Assuming[t > 0, f[t]]

which will return t, if t is assumed to be positive and -t otherwise.

The draw back is, that one also has to give a return value if t is not
greater than 0.

Best regards,

Christoph

PS: Could you please verify, that you see my message in the MathGroup?
Thank you in advance.

I don't see what $Assumptions has to do with the situation at hand,
since using

   $Assumptions = t>0

does not change the result of leaving f[t] unevaluated; nor does either of

   Assuming[t>0, f[t]]
   Simplify[f[t], t>0]

The only really workable thing I've seen posted in response to the
O.P.'s query -- sorry, I cannot find any previous posting by you to
MathGroup on this subject -- is Leonid Shifrin's [mg111421], using UpValues:

   t /: Positive[t] = True

And I guess that, except for employing user-defined heads to create new
types of objects, that's the closest one can come to declaring types of
variables.  Or am I missing something?

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305